NEW!

Click on any picture to expand

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Sir Galahad rides again…..


Last evening we spotted a bevy of young ladies going along the beach track in a four wheel drive when they got bogged. That means that they got stuck in the soft sand, despite the fact that there are warning signs that tell us to let our tyres down to 18psi (We ride at 40) and keep moving. Being young and maybe not so experienced they spun their wheels and dug themselves in even further. When they finally realized they were not going to get out that way, they started to dig themselves out with their bare hands, (they had no shovel).
Now there is a difference here between red sand and white sand. The red sand is normally fairly solid, and driveable on full tyres, the white sand is definitely not. They had just gone on to the white when they bogged.(This photo is not the car as described- but the area where the event happened).
So- Sir Galahad, (myself) decided he would get out the tow rope and go rescue the fair maidens in distress. So I drove along the track onto the red and prepared to turn to present the back of Betty to the ladies. But- this red sand was different- and I was bogged! With a face the same colour as the sand I got out my spade and dug a track behind my wheels to try and reverse to turn out. She moved, but bogged again when I tried to go forward. Hmmm…… very embarrassing. I had to dig again, and then rock Betty back and forward to get her moving. At least I didn’t dig in. So- with my tail between my legs I left the ladies to fend for themselves, came back along the track to our cabin and parked up rather sheepishly.
As it happened, a number of very macho men came along and helped the ladies- I do hope they got their reward.





When we booked here they didn’t tell us we had to share our accommodation. Not only do we have a 20 inch Goanna (half metre) we have a green frog and various insects including a stick insect, a 4 inch wingspan moth, and a couple of crickets along with many other fairly large insects. Oh- and a few other smaller lizards too. The goanna and the frog live in our roof along with the lizards, and can be heard in the dead of night moving around. Occasionally the goanna will come out to look at us during the day too.
Fortunately we have a mossie net above us, as the lizards have been known to fall out of the sky during the night, a scary way to be woken from a dead sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment